Thursday, August 21, 2008

Surpassing the uncanny valley phenomenon...

This video of the CG model "Emily" has been circulating around the net for quite some time now. It caught my attention how accurate and perfect does she look like.

This just looks perfectly real to me...I don´t even have to bother with the whole idea of her being CG or not, she is just being herself....as part of the realm of "our" reality, the "human" reality...outstanding achievement I think. If this footage was cutting to another person, on a set, sitting and talking, as part of the continuity with Emily's dialogue...I'm sure it would perfectly and seamlessly fit together.



If we start to dig into the moral usage, the implications and the purpose of such creation, there would be plenty of things to spot from both the good and bad sides. Like...why would anyone want to do this instead of simply shooting footage with a camera, for eg.? But that's a whole new level of discussion I don't really want to get into. I'm just amazed at how accurate this is...a big step in the CG industry probably...or all just something gimmicky...either way, i felt it was worth putting it in this space.

No comments: